The Purchasing Agent coordinates all activities associated with procurement of materials and supplies. This position applies the necessary Milwaukee County Ordinances and Federal Transit Administration regulations, and adheres to Procurement policies. This position also authorizes and administers contracts that are necessary to maintain the operation of the transit system.
1. Issue assigned quotes, bids and RFPs for service agreements or commodities needed to run the Milwaukee County Transit System.
2. Manage the respective procurement processes and coordinate evaluation teams when needed.
3. Create procurement files per FTA Circular’s, State of WI procurement laws and Milwaukee County ordinances, issue the purchase orders.
4. Monitor blanket/contract spreadsheet assignments and ensure that expiring blankets and contracts are put out on the street in required timeframes.
5. Solicit prices, establish lead-times and availability of products, check delivery schedules, conduct procurement negotiations, process critical stock sheet orders in a timely fashion.
6. Supervise adjustments to the inventory system, handle claims with vendors involving replacement of defective material or invoice discrepancies.
7. Monitor the requisition system to ensure parts/service are ordered as assigned.
8. Conduct job site tours/inspections as needed for Bids, RFPs or other projects.
1. Bachelor’s degree preferred; in Business, Public Administration, Economics, Engineering or a related field; or a minimum of three (3) years of experience in purchasing, contract development, contract administration, material control or related experience is required.
2. Experience issuing/managing large Requests for Proposal (RFPs) and large bids is preferred.
3. Experience making Federal Transit Administration (FTA) purchases is preferred.
4. Knowledge of the FTA Circular 4220.1F and the Master Agreement is preferred.
5. Excellent analytical, organizational and practical judgement skills with the ability to perform in an environment involving strict attention to detail, accuracy and deadlines.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7. Critical thinking skills with the ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks with minimal direction.
8. Familiarity with a computerized purchasing/inventory/disbursement system preferred.
9. Excellent work and attendance record.
1. Ability to effectively provide both oral and written communications requiring good verbal expression, satisfactory hearing and eyesight, clarity sufficient to read.
2. Must be able to wear NIOSH approved safety glasses and hearing protection.
3. Must be able to grasp with hands, twist wrists and use arms to push, pull, hold and carry.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Milwaukee County Transit System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law.