The Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS) is seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications with the skills and abilities to also serve as the organization’s public information officer with responsibility for managing of media and community relations. The Director of Marketing and Communications will oversee planning and implementation of effective marketing programs to increase the use of transit, enhance the image and reputation of MCTS, and provide for greater understanding of transit’s vital role in the community. The successful applicant to this leadership position will be responsible for the strategic direction of public relations, media relations and marketing.
The person in this position will be responsible for developing marketing programs to promote transit services, and will identify news stories for mass media and internal and external publications. The incumbent oversees the writing, editing, design, conceptualization, development and coordination of a variety of communications, including media, newsletters, and promotional materials. This opportunity is ideal for an experienced marketing, communications and public relations professional interested in furthering their expertise in a public transit setting.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic as well as a process-minded leader with experience managing marketing functions and activities of a large organization, including the development of advertising campaigns, strategies and plans. We are seeking a person with strong spokesperson skills that is comfortable being interviewed by newspaper reports, speaking publicly in front of community groups, and giving television interviews.
1. Communicates with media regarding MCTS positions, policies, and events; participates in interviews with media representatives often with limited time to prepare. Acts as Company spokesperson / public information officer, making speeches and public appearances, and representing the Company at press conferences.
2. Manages and promotes the MCTS consumer website and oversees the administration of MCTS social media accounts.
3. Responsible for developing the MCTS brand, copyrighted logo and other public customer facing graphics. Manages all internal and external marketing communication, public information, and community relations.
4. Under tight deadlines, prepares letters, messages, articles, press releases, talking points and other printed materials for use by the Managing Director and the news media.
5. Coordinates media (press) events; participates in planning of events, often with internal or external partners; develops media kits and press releases; contacts media in order to ensure participation and attends events; works with community groups to provide information on transit and supports community events in which MCTS participates.
6. Advises MCTS leaders about and other internal stakeholders on mass communication messaging strategies and effective public information techniques to aid in accomplishing objectives.
7. Responsible for building and maintaining budget for Marketing Department, including advertising budget. Manages fare sales programs and advertising programs that bring in more than $5 million a year. Approves of spending for the Marketing Department.
8. Manages staff that develops consumer information, ensuring accuracy of materials. Directs staff that manage business/institutional sales programs such as Commuter Value Pass and University Pass (UPASS). Assists MCTS in ensuring compliance with government standards under the ADA and Title VI for Limited English Proficiency.
9. Develops long range strategic, marketing and customer service objectives. Uses performance measures and key statistics. Conducts consumer research.
10. Develops annual marketing plan including goals and strategies. Plans and manages marketing budgets and administers grants for marketing support. Executes annual marketing plan, and provides timely reporting on plans, progress, issues and results.
11. Oversees staff that administers contracts for on-bus and shelter advertising. Manages and monitors business aspects of marketing, including oversight of consultants and service providers: advertising agencies, graphic designers, research firms, printing industry partners, etc.
12. Builds internal relationships to serve internal clients, problem solve and to ensure a cohesive approach to communicating company-wide initiatives and accomplishments.
13. Develops effective external relationships by representing Company on boards, committees, and special task forces when requested.
14. Provides oversight and leadership to MCTS customer service center and coordinates the flow of internal customer information/messaging to optimize the external facing information for riders.
1. Experience as a spokesperson or public information officer that successfully represented an organization in front of news media and with the public.
2. A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, journalism, public relations or a related field and at least 5 years of professional experience is required. Ideally an M.B.A. or other advanced degree.
3. Minimum 3 to 5 years of management experience is required.
4. Knowledge of current advertising and marketing trends. Knowledge of advertising and marketing principles and best practices. Knowledge of spokesperson/public information officer principles and best practices.
5. Strong understanding of media relations. Knowledge of the Milwaukee Urbanized Area Media / Advertising Market.
6. Experience in project management techniques, including budgeting, scheduling, scoping and quality control. A track record of on-budget, on-time, and within scope project delivery.
7. Knowledge of the political process at local, state and federal levels.
1. Service Oriented Leader
• Believes in high levels of customer service and instills excellence in team.
• Collaborative with good teamwork skills.
• Energetic, dynamic, and articulate.
• Strategic thinker who can also execute.
• A skilled writer and speaker who can concisely and effectively communicate in a logical and well thought out fashion.
• Excellent punctuation and grammatical skills.
3. Problem Solver
• Identifies problems in a timely manner. Analytical when necessary.
• Creative, accountable, results oriented and diligent.
4. Comfortable with Technology
• Understanding of Mobile Apps, video editing software, and presentation software
5. Professional Judgement
• Able to form an opinion about visual design elements, message content, and message delivery methodology, as well as build consensus for a preference.
Must have the ability to effectively provide both oral and written communications requiring good verbal expression, satisfactory hearing and eyesight clarity sufficient to read.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Milwaukee County Transit System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law. MCTS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.