Bus Operators for Milwaukee County Transit System are responsible for operating a bus over an established route. This position adheres to a pre-determined schedule in a safe, efficient and courteous manner which allows passengers to board, travel and alight at scheduled stops.
1. Safely operate transit bus in strict compliance with Milwaukee County Transit System policies, guidelines and procedures, as well as follow all Wisconsin and Federal traffic laws and regulations.
2. Collect fares according to existing fare structure, inspect bus passes and issue valid transfers in a professional, courteous manner.
3. Provide public timetables and accurate information to customers.
4. Call street locations, transfer points, major intersections and other requested stops in compliance with ADA guidelines and Company policy.
5. Perform vehicle inspections before, during and after scheduled work assignments. This includes internal and external areas of the bus, reporting all defects on proper forms.
6. Operate the radio system in accordance with proper procedure.
7. Monitor Special Bulletins daily, and make appropriate adjustments as needed.
8. Provide accessibility for disabled passengers to board and alight by properly operating all ramps and lifts and safely securing passengers in compliance with ADA guidelines and Company policy.
9. Follow Company policy for handling lost articles including a visual inspection of the bus at the end of the line and at pull-in.
10. Complete accident and incident reports accurately and legibly, as necessary.
11. Complete fare box, passenger and bus maintenance defect reports as necessary.
12. Conduct self in an appropriate manner as a representative of Milwaukee County Transit System.
1. Must be at least 21 years of age.
2. High school diploma or equivalent
3. Valid Class D Wisconsin driver’s license (non-probationary)
4. No more than 1 moving violation and 4 points on Motor Vehicle Report during the past 3 years.
5. Must possess or be willing to obtain a Wisconsin Commercial Driver's License (CDL), with passenger endorsement, and have no airbrake restrictions. Applicants with a valid CDL license or permit, strongly preferred.
6. Must meet all requirements in the Bus Operator recruitment and selection process, including testing, oral interview, employment verification, education and criminal background review.
7. Must have a history of satisfactory work attendance, including the ability to be punctual and report to work when scheduled
8. Ability to successfully complete the Bus Operator Training Program (5-6 weeks), which includes achieving required minimum scores on all written tests, driving tests and evaluations.
9. Ability to keep a timely schedule.
10. Excellent customer service skills, with the ability to work and maintain a professional manner while effectively communicating and interacting with customers and other staff.
11. Ability to use prudent judgment and common sense when making quick, safe decisions with minimal supervision and adapting to constantly changing operating environments.
12. Possess a working knowledge of streets, current bus routes and stops, as well as current fare structure and rules, regulations and procedures for Bus Operators.
13. Ability to read, write and speak loud, clear, understandable English.
14. Ability to read and understand maps and timetables which includes determining directions and following a mapped route.
15. Ability to effectively drive a bus, handle emergencies and use standard defensive driving techniques.
16. Ability to work unusual hours, including split-shifts, weekends, holidays, early mornings, late nights and overtime as required.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS UTILIZED:
The following types of buses are currently operated by the Milwaukee County Transit System:
Trolleys, New Flyers and Gillig Buses.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK CONDITIONS:
1. Ability to pass a physical with drug screen, including a PPFT (Pre-placement Functional Test) as it relates to the physical requirements of the essential functions of the job.
2. Ability to tolerate varying temperatures including heat, cold and precipitation while inspecting exterior of bus.
3. Ability tolerate varying temperatures including excessive heat and cold while operating bus.
4. Ability to climb stairs, reach above shoulder level, walk, bend, stoop, lift, push and pull without assistance
5. Ability to operate pedals
6. Ability to sit without discomfort for an extended period of time
7. Ability to fit behind the steering wheel with adequate clearance.
8. Ability to work in an environment with dust, exhaust fumes, diesel fuel, oil, grease and various noise levels.
The above are general requirements that must be met for consideration. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of job qualifications or job duties. A physical exam and Pre-Placement Functional Test shall be administered prior to job award, allowing applicants to demonstrate their ability to the minimum requirements for this position.
Milwaukee County Transit System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age; protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law.